How To Chill Harder is a series on making magic out of simple things to get the most of your chill time.
Cousin to the much-loved Michelada, the Mexican Ashtray is an even simpler-to-make "cerveza preparada" that anyone who loves cold beer, salt and spice needs in their repertoire.
What you'll need:
- Ice cold, clean *cans* of Tecate, Sol, Pacifico or similar Mexican lager
- Limes cut into wedges
- Hot sauce (we like Cholula Original)
- Coarse freshly ground black pepper
- Kosher salt (optional)
- Grab a clean, ice cold can of Mexican lager
- Rim about 1/3 of each can in kosher salt (this step is entirely optional; Mexican Ashtrays are just as delicious with or without salt)
- Without opening the can, squeeze a lime wedge onto the top
- Add a few shakes of hot sauce and a few grinds of black pepper
The Mexican Ashtray: a simple pleasure where the whole is a hell of a lot greater than the sum of its humble parts.
Try them at your next BBQ, party, tailgate, or meeting.